Munguia-Hogan mandatory title bout finalized

Boxing

The mandatory fight between junior middleweight world titlist Jaime Munguia and Dennis Hogan, agreed to last month for April 13 at the Arena Monterrey in Monterrey, Mexico, has been finalized, Golden Boy Promotions announced Thursday.

The fight, which will stream in the United States on DAZN, will be the fourth defense for Munguia (32-0, 26 KOs), 22, of Mexico. It also will mark his return to box in his home country for the first time in four fights, since the fight before he won a 154-pound belt by knocking out Sadam Ali in May.

“I feel happy to be returning to Mexico,” Munguia said. “The last time I fought in Mexico was right here in Monterrey [in May], so I’m excited to be here again. I’m ready to come back and deliver a great show to my Mexican people. It’s also very important to be fighting on this new platform, DAZN. It’s an honor for me to be fighting on this platform.”

Hogan (28-1-1, 7 KOs), 33, an Ireland native fighting out of Australia, has won six fights in a row since losing a unanimous decision to Jack Culcay in an interim junior middleweight title bout in Germany in 2015.

“I am looking forward to facing Jaime Munguia,” Hogan said. “Mexico’s culture has a rich history in boxing, and I can’t wait to show Mexico and the rest of the world that I am ready to dethrone Munguia. I am not concerned with his power, as I have fought bigger and stronger opponents. My pressure and style are going to give Munguia trouble. I have been fighting for this opportunity since I was 8 years old. I’m going to make it count.”

In the co-feature, junior middleight Patrick Teixeira (29-1, 22 KOs), 28, a southpaw from Brazil, will face Dormedes Potes (11-1-1, 8 KOs), 26, of Colombia, in a 10-round regional title bout.

Also on the card, Mexico’s Diego De La Hoya (21-0, 10 KOs), 24, the first cousin of Golden Boy CEO and International Boxing Hall of Famer Oscar De La Hoya, will move up to featherweight and face countryman Enrique Bernache (24-12, 12 KOs), 30, in a 10-round fight. The fight will be De La Hoya’s first in 10 months because of issues making the 122-pound junior featherweight limit and having two bouts canceled because of his weight issues.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Texas icon, NFL WR Johnny ‘Lam’ Jones dies at 60
LSU board set to weigh Orgeron raise, extension
Flyweight champ Edwards ‘more modest’ post-loss
MLB Rank: Biggest surprises, other reaction to our top 100
Baltimore mayor sues to block Preakness move

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *